Go Further with Food this Nutrition Month
#HerbalifeNutrition expert Susan Bowerman encourages you to go further with food during #NutritionMonth http://hrbl.me/2sBattiClick To Tweet
March is Nutrition Month, which makes it a particularly special time—nutrition is literally part of our name. This year’s theme, “Go Further With Food,” is also fundamental to everything we do, promote, advocate, and support. Our Global Nutrition Philosophy speaks to the centrality of making the right food choices, engaging in healthy diets, and watching what you eat – focused on the three-pronged approach of balanced nutrition, leading an active life, and following a personalized program.
And all of it begins with getting the appropriate mix of nutrients into your daily intake – with consuming the proper amounts of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals, not to mention adequate fluids and a decent dose of fiber.
It’s a tall order, to be sure. But a necessary goal if you want to feel and look your best. Doing so can and will do wonders for your well-being – and it can help reverse troubling trends on the global health landscape today.
Consider a sampling of some of the most recent data on overweight and obesity epidemics worldwide:
- More than one-third of American adults are considered obese.
- As of 2016, roughly 39 percent of the world’s population 18 and over were overweight.
- Over 340 million children and adolescents, aged 5 to 19, are overweight or obese.
- Upwards of 40 million under 5 years old are now overweight or obese.
- The worldwide prevalence of obesity has roughly tripled since 1975.
What’s more, the latest studies from Gallup show that:
- Obesity quadruples the risk of diabetes for most U.S. adults.
- Healthy eating is linked to lower likelihood of depression, as 34 percent of those who say they eat right are less likely to have depression than their peers.
- Healthier eating is tied to lower probabilities of obesity, heart attack, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Yet the percent of adults who reported eating healthfully “yesterday” fell to a nine-year low in 2016.
All of this adds up to a simple solution: during this Nutrition month and every month, at Herbalife Nutrition and everywhere else, let’s make the basics of a balanced diet the new normal. Here are some tips to “Go Further With Food” this Nutrition month:
- Have a piece of fruit for dessert. Nutrition Boost: Vitamins and minerals, like potassium and vitamin C, along with fiber and antioxidants, and you could save hundreds of calories.
- Switch to 100% whole grain bread. Nutrition Boost: An extra dose of much needed fiber.
- Double-up your veggies at dinner. Nutrition Boost: Nutrient density—you’ll be getting plenty of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in exchange for a low-calorie cost.
- Have one calcium-rich food. Add a glass of nonfat milk, a scoop of cottage cheese, a carton of yogurt or a stick of string cheese to your day. If you can’t tolerate dairy products, many soymilks, cheeses and yogurts are calcium-fortified. Nutrition Boost: A good dose of bone-building calcium.
- Try some seafood. Canned tuna can be mixed with mashed avocado for a healthy sandwich spread, or tossed over some pre-washed salad greens for a quick meal. If you lean towards red meat or chicken at meals, try a serving of grilled fish or shellfish instead. Nutrition Boost: Fish contains heart-healthy omega-3 fats, yet it’s low in calories and high in protein.